HEERF III Grants
UNC Asheville is committed to ensuring a college education is accessible to our students. We know the COVID-19 pandemic presented unexpected financial challenges to many members of our Bulldog community.
Through federal and state grants—including the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF)—and the UNC Asheville Student Emergency Fund, the University has been able to provide approximately $6.7 million to more than 4,660 students to support their degree completion. These funds are to assist those with the highest financial need and those with unexpected financial emergencies. Additionally, there are guidelines governing the distribution of all federal funds.
These grants are intended to help cover expenses related to the cost of attendance (i.e., food, housing and utilities, health insurance, including mental health care, transportation, or child care) or for emergency costs that arise due to the COVID pandemic.
May 2022 Emergency Grant Award
UNC Asheville is awarding all eligible students $400 to $800 in emergency grants to cover technology, course materials and other expenses for the Summer 2022 semester, including Maymester and all four summer terms.
- Students must have been charged for a summer course.
- Students enrolled in five or more credit hours will receive the full $800.
- Students enrolled in less than five credit hours will receive $400.
Options for receiving and using your grant award:
- Students who were registered in a prior semester and have registered for Summer courses will receive a refund for the grant by Friday, June 3.
- If you are a new student this summer, your grant will be applied to your account after your summer course(s) begin and a refund will be issued within 10 days.
- You can apply the funding to your current student account balance. To do this, you should complete the authorization form in OnePort by Tuesday, May 31.
Please email email@example.com with any questions. If you do not receive the grant because your summer courses are covered by a waiver, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also email email@example.com if you do NOT wish to receive the grant.
As of March 31, 2022, $5,980,477 of the Federal (CARES and HEERF) Emergency grant has been awarded to 4,674 students. As indicated in the current Institutional HEERF report, UNC Asheville has also awarded Emergency Grants to students from the Institutional HEERF funds. For more information, see the Reporting page.