Only certain residence halls where approved students with qualified exceptions reside remain open.
Students who need to request an exception to remain in the residence halls should contact the Housing Office at . We strongly encourage students to remain off campus until further notice.
The formal move-out process began on Tuesday, March 24. Students have received guidance via email regarding their individual move-out times, so that the number of students who will be moving out at one time is limited throughout the residence halls. UNC Asheville staff will be present to help students move out. Students who live in Ponder Hall should park on the top level of parking deck P4 to load their belongings. Students who live in Governors Hall should park in parking lot P17 on University Heights. Once parked, please remain in your car until directed to go into your building in order to maintain social distancing.
For questions, please call the Housing Office at and we will work with you to meet your on-campus housing needs.
- Starting on March 16, Brown Hall will be open only to faculty, staff and students during the following meal times:
- Breakfast from 8 – 9:30 a.m.
- Lunch from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Dinner from 5 – 7 p.m.
- All retail dining outlets will remain closed until further notice (some retail products such as snacks and bottled beverages will be sold in the lobby of Brown Hall).
- No reusable plates, cups or to-go containers will be allowed in Brown Hall – only disposable products will be used.
- All food items will be served from behind the serving line (no self-service) – customers will be handed their plates and cutlery from dining staff.
- Since staff will be reallocated to accommodate the new serving operation, not all stations will be open (the salad bar will be open but with limited options that will be served).
- There will be vegetarian, vegan and made-without-gluten options and Dining Services can accommodate other dietary restrictions as needed.
- Customers will not be allowed to eat in the dining hall, but rather take their food to go.
- Additional cleaning and sanitizing will be performed throughout the operations.
Highsmith Student Union
Beginning Monday, March 23, Highsmith Student Union hours will be Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday from 1 – 5 p.m.
The bookstore is currently adjusting hours to 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Monday – Friday. In addition, the bookstore’s website is currently offering free shipping for all orders to ensure any material needed can still be provided with no additional cost.
Ramsey Library, Student Recreation & Justice Center
All other facilities, including Ramsey Library, the Student Recreation Center, and Justice Center, will be closed until further notice. If necessary, faculty and staff will have access to their buildings and offices by their usual means. If you do not have a key or other access to your building and need access, please contact your supervisor or department chair. Online access to Ramsey Library resources can be found at http://library.unca.edu/az.php.
The Botanical Gardens have been closed in an effort to limit the spread of the Coronavirus to the wider community.
On-Campus Student Jobs or Internships
Students should contact their supervisor for more information, as these jobs will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
All events over 30 people through the end of April have been canceled.
As of March 12, 2020, all Big South athletic events have been suspended through at least March 30. Please visit www.uncabulldogs.com for the most current information.
UNC Asheville Athletics will immediately suspend athletic-related activities including all competition, and formal and organized practice until further notice in accordance with the Big South Conference’s decision.
For questions about UNC Asheville’s Division I Athletic Program, please contact: Athletic Director Janet Cone: firstname.lastname@example.org or or Terri Brne, Senior Associate Athletic Director for Internal Operations: email@example.com or 828.251.6930.
Updated: May 1, 2020
Based on the results of a survey of our Class of 2020 graduating seniors, the decision has been made to plan for an in-person UNC Asheville Class of 2020 Commencement ceremony on Saturday, August 1 beginning at 9 a.m. on the University Quad if public health conditions allow. Visit unca.edu/commencement for more details.