At this time, students are strongly encouraged not to return to campus until further notice if possible.
Updated on March 24, 2020
Is Highsmith Student Union still open?
Yes. At this time, all Student Affairs facilities (including Highsmith Student Union) will remain open during the extended spring break (March 16-20).
Beginning Monday, March 23, Highsmith Student Union hours will be Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday from 1 – 5 p.m.
Will dining services still be available on campus?
Due to the changes in operation on our campus in response to mitigating the spread of the Coronavirus, our dining services to our campus community will have to be modified beginning Sunday, March 15. As the situation changes and the semester progresses, modifications may be made to this schedule. These changes will be communicated to you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for understanding.
- Starting on March 16, Brown Hall will be open only to faculty, staff and students during the following meal times:
- Breakfast from 8 – 9:30 a.m.
- Lunch from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Dinner from 5 – 7 p.m.
- All retail dining outlets will remain closed until further notice (some retail products such as snacks and bottled beverages will be sold in the lobby of Brown Hall).
- No reusable plates, cups or to-go containers will be allowed in Brown Hall – only disposable products will be used.
- All food items will be served from behind the serving line (no self-service) – customers will be handed their plates and cutlery from dining staff.
- Since staff will be reallocated to accommodate the new serving operation, not all stations will be open (the salad bar will be open but with limited options that will be served).
- There will be vegetarian, vegan and made-without-gluten options and Dining Services can accommodate other dietary restrictions as needed.
- Customers will not be allowed to eat in the dining hall, but rather take their food to go.
- Additional cleaning and sanitizing will be performed throughout the operations.
Is Health & Counseling still open?
The Health and Counseling Center hours are Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Students can call the free After-Hours Support Line – Bulldog Health Link at 1.888.267.3675 anytime from 5 p.m. – 8 a.m. Monday through Friday, and Saturday and Sunday 24 hours/day.
Is the Bookstore still open? Can I still purchase things from the online bookstore?
The bookstore is currently adjusting hours to 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Monday – Friday.
In addition, the bookstore’s website is currently offering free shipping for all orders to ensure any material needed can still be provided with no additional cost.
Can I get back into the residence halls?
Please review the FAQ: Students & Families for more information on access to the residence halls.
What about other campus facilities, like Ramsey Library?
All other facilities, including Ramsey Library, the Student Recreation Center, and Justice Center will be closed at least through April 6. If necessary, faculty and staff will have access to their buildings and offices by their usual means. If you do not have a key or other access to your building and need access, please contact your supervisor or department chair. Online access to Ramsey Library resources can be found at http://library.unca.edu/az.php.
Are the Botanical Gardens still open?
No, the Botanical Gardens have been closed in an effort to limit the spread of the Coronavirus to the wider community.